Okay, since I’ve been fantasizing lately about creating a school, I thought I’d see what people dug about it, from the most down-to-earth to the most sublime aspects. (If you completely despised school feel free to change it to “Top Five Most Crappy Things About School.”)
If I ever get the chance to start one up, I don’t want to leave out any of the good stuff!
My Top Five Most Beloved Things About School:
1. chalk and chalkboards
3. the stack of new books at the beginning of the year/quarter (for college)
4. those classes (like lit and history) that often had great, intelligent discussions, sometimes venturing dangerously far into passionate argument
5. being in the crowd at a really intense sporting event
This may seem like a froo-froo dingy top five, but something else I took away from my Thanksgiving trip is a burning desire and steely resolve not to be such a stress-case, not to be so high strung, not to so easily fly off the handle, freak out, make a mountain out of a molehill, lose my cool. I want to be mellow. You’d think being from California I’d have a head start but no. Might be too much to ask, but I’m determined.
To this end, I want to be able to bring to mind some things that ground me and make me feel calm, and if you all will share some of your grounding techniques or mental images, that might give me some more ideas…
My Top Five Things that Ground Me
1. upbeat music (not just upbeat rhythm but also lyrics)
2. Beer (I realize this is a total crutch, but it takes the edge off my fretting mind)
3. Cleaning house
4. Eating comfort food (another crutch)
And there you have it. None of these things come in terribly handy when my son has dumped out yet another bowl of cereal and has stomped it into the carpet and I begin the yell from hell. Stuff my face, get a buzz going and clean while listening to Bob Marley. Now you see why I have issues…
Please… your Top Five… STAT!
Since we are fast approaching the biggest food day of the year (well, for some of us, anyway) I thought it would be fun to get the drool going by listing the top five things we are looking forward to…
- pumpkin pie
- green beans with onions and bacon
- appetizer plate eaten while watching football!