I love to play the game “Top Five…” which is of course inspired by the novel “High Fidelity” by Nick Hornby (upon which was based the 2000 movie of the same name starring John Cusack). I want to play it here on a once-a-week basis, and hopefully some of my readers will be inspired to add their responses in the comment section!
- Your list is not set in stone. If five minutes after you get off the computer you remember a fruit you like better than kumquats and want to go back and modify it, that’s perfectly okay. So don’t avoid answering just because you think we’ll hold you to your answer forever and ever.
- Answers on a list are in no particular order, unless you indicate otherwise. In other words, you don’t have to think of your five favorite pizza toppings AND THEN decide which one should be #1, because order will be assumed not to matter.
- If you need to add a #6 and #7 because you just love too many actresses and don’t want to hurt any of their little feelings by leaving them out, feel free. Go nuts. As long as there is a little space left over in cyberspace for the rest of us when you’re done, knock yourself out.
- If you HATE the thing, like say the list is Top Five favorite flowers and you wish all flowers were extinct, then you can indicate at the top of your list that it is your Top Five Despised flowers or some such.
(As an aside, does anyone have an opinion on whether I should provide my list when I announce the Top Five? Joy shows such great restraint in not answering her own Question of the Day right away over on her blog but on the other hand, someone has to go first, so I figured I would just start us off.)
Now that we’ve established the rules of the game… wanna play?
In honor of Nick Hornby, let’s start with your Top Five Books.
My Top Five Books:
1. Escape From Mexico by Lewis Horton
2. West with the Night by Beryl Markham
3. Tao Te Ching by Lao Tse
4. Les Bouts de Bois de Dieu (God’s Bits of Wood) by Sembène Ousmane
5. Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) by Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Okay, I guess I might have honored Hornby a bit more by including him on my list… suffice it to say that I love all the books of his that I’ve read! I highly recommend them! He would be #6… I swear!