If you had to make the perfect sandwich with five fixin’s (not including condiments, you can add those extra) what would be on it?
My perfect five-fixin’ sandwich:
- gouda cheese
- super-thinly-sliced red onion
I’d add a bit of mayonnaise.
Okay, great, now I’m hungry!!!
Okay, time for something light and silly.
Dig deep into the past, unless perhaps you’ve had free time lately to ingest some animated goofiness, and reveal to the world which cartoon characters have made you really laugh?
1. Daffy Duck
2. Bugs Bunny
3. Ren (of “Ren & Stimpy”)
4. Bart Simpson
5. Yosemite Sam
Okay, I’m a little Bugs-heavy, but hey, Mel Blanc was a freakin’ genius. If I could only watch one kind of cartoon ever again, it would definitely be Looney Tunes. (Every Saturday morning as a kid I used to watch the hour-long Looney Tunes cartoon show. Religiously.)
So which colorful character gets your funny bone in a spasm?
Pretend that you were on your way to be stranded on a desert island forever and you could only take the complete works of five bands or musical artists. Which would you bring?
2. The Presidents of the United States of America
3. Bob Marley
4. Gypsy Kings
5. Edith Piaf
It’s funny, I thought of a couple of my favorite bands of all time, like the Beatles and Creedence Clearwater Revival, then I realized that I’ve heard their songs so many times I can just close my eyes and ears and replay them perfectly in my mind… so why bother bringing them!
Since we’ve gotten a jolt of positive energy off the New Year, maybe it’s time to look at the dark side for a moment.
My top five worst fears:
- My kids being in pain.
- Me being in pain.
- Having my dearest possessions stolen… I only have a couple really dear things, such as my laptop, but if it were to be gone… 😦
- Having people see me as useless, worthless, annoying, self-deluded, in general not worth the space I take up on the planet
- Suffocating to death (in the literal sense)
If you feel up to talking about it, what makes you shake in your boots?
These are kinda like resolutions, but they can be anything, even things that you’re not sure have a chance of happening this year. Let’s dream BIG!!!
For me and my family:
- Move to a bigger, nicer house (I’m not being greedy… there are 6 of us squished into this tiny moldy dwelling, which I’m certainly grateful for but wouldn’t cry if we could have enough room to breathe) … maybe even buy a house. (You see how crazy I’m getting?)
- Visit my family in California and Oregon, or have them come visit me (haven’t seen anyone in my family since we left the West Coast in March of 2007)
- Finish my translation project
- (…Okay, since we’re dreaming big…) Sell my translation project
- Find a way to make some money with the languages I went to college to master and still owe money for… I realize that I would have a better chance at making this work if I had some concrete plans, but I am sick of the same old plans that didn’t work last year… tutoring, classes, interpreting… I guess my dream is that I will have the inspiration and drive to make it happen.
What are your dreams for 2009?
Okay, you’ve found a genie in a bottle, and instead of three wishes you get five!
Unfortunately, the only thing you are allowed to wish for is a visit with a person from history (you would also be able to understand each other, no matter if they spoke English or not).
Which five is it going to be?
1. Mark Twain (he just HAD to be an entertaining guy to hang out with – and I’d love to know what he thinks about what’s been happening in the world since he stopped being able to comment on it…)
2. Beryl Markham (famous aviator/ bush pilot in Africa – I’ll bet she has even more great stories than what I read in her autobiography)
3. Leonardo DaVinci (I’d want him to show me around all his inventions and sketches and everything, just hear in person what was going on in his head)
4. Josephine Baker (entertainer and fascinating personality – I’d want her to show me around the castle she owned in France and answer about a million questions I have about her wild life)
5. Jesus – I mean, who could resist the chance to be face to face in our clay vessels.
What about you?
If you could have five all-expense-paid trips to anywhere you’ve never been, where would you go?
1. Costa Rica (I’d have to do some research to figure out which town, exactly, but it would have to be near both beach and forest!)
2. Dakar, Senegal
3. Paris, France
4. Italy (again, not sure where exactly! Wherever they have the most pasta! 🙂 )
5. Great Barrier Reef, Australia (to snorkel!)
Anyone coming with? Where will you head instead?